Wednesday, April 19, 2017

By Cat Keniston

County supervisors renewed and reinstated rewards Tuesday in hopes of coaxing witnesses to come forward to help identify gunmen in three unrelated shootings -- dating back as far as 2013 -- that took the lives of a teen in Westmont and two young men in Lynwood and Artesia.

Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas recommended reinstating a $10,000 reward, which had expired Jan. 5, for information that leads to the killer of 15-year- old Mark Tyree Jr., who was about to start 9th grade at New Millennium Secondary School in Gardena.

About 8:10 p.m. last June 26, the teen was talking to a friend while standing in a driveway in the 1300 block of West 92nd Street when someone opened fire from the front passenger window of a passing gray Chevrolet Camaro. He died at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.

Investigators believe the shooting may have been gang-related, but said neither Tyree nor his friend were gang members.

"They were just two kids hanging out in front of a residence," sheriff's Lt. John Corina told the Los Angeles Times.

Anyone with more information was asked to call sheriff's Sgt. Domenick Recchia at (323) 890-5500.

Ridley-Thomas also asked that a $10,000 reward in the July 24, 2014, "senseless" shooting death of 18-year-old Alexis Alvarado-Garcia be re- established. The reward had expired March 28, but will now be available for at least another 90 days.

Alvarado-Garcia was shot at a Lynwood strip mall in the 10900 block of Long Beach Boulevard and was pronounced dead at St. Francis Medical Center. Witnesses told sheriff's deputies that he had argued with the unidentified gunman.

A motorist who saw the shooting followed the assailant as he ran east on North Avenue and then jumped into a light-colored, four-door Toyota Camry with at least two other men inside. Someone inside fired at the witness, and bullets struck his pickup truck.

Anyone with information was asked to call Detective Teri Bernstein of the sheriff's Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.

Supervisor Janice Hahn recommended renewing a $10,000 reward -- set to expire April 23 -- for information on the whereabouts of a reputed gang member accused of fatally shooting a 19-year-old man in Artesia in 2013.

About 1:15 a.m. on July 27, 2013, Boren Lay and four of his gang associates allegedly confronted a group in a restaurant in the 11600 block of South Street.

Someone in the group called Timothy Teopaco for help. When Teopaco arrived, the gang members were driving out of the restaurant parking lot and Lay, armed with a large-caliber revolver, allegedly fired at Teopaco.

A bullet struck Teopaco in the stomach and he was pronounced dead a few hours later at Long Beach Memorial Hospital.

Teopaco's family said he was a former gang member who had been turning his life around after the birth of his son.

Anyone with information about Lay's whereabouts was asked to call sheriff's homicide Detective Brandt House at (323) 890-5500. All callers may remain anonymous and calls may also be made to Crime Stoppers, (800) 222-TIPS (8477).